- Lesbian Dad: notes from the crossroads of mother and father. A personal essay and photography blog published actively from 2006 to 2013, passively thereafter. Upwards of 1,200 posts. Unless noted, all photographs are mine; all the writing is.
- VillageQ: where queer meets family. LGBTQ Family magazine site, formerly Lesbian Family. Co-founded and served as Editor-in-Chief from 2012 to 2014.
- "What I know About Motherhood As An Unconventional Parent," May 10, 2013, in Huffington Post (solicited contribution for a series).
- "It's All Relatives," guest post at Family Equality Council blog, July 22, 2007.
- “Confessions of a Lesbian Dad,” essay in Confessions of the Other Mother, ed. Harlyn Aizley (Boston: Beacon, 2006). Confessions of the Other Mother was a finalist for Best Anthology in the 2006 Lambda Literary Awards.
- “‘The Very House of Difference’: Toward a More Queerly Defined Multiculturalism,” in Tilting the Tower: Lesbians/ Teaching/ Queer Subjects, ed. Linda Garber (New York: Routledge, 1994).
- “Teaching Ideology to Material Girls: Pedagogy in the ‘Post-Feminist’ Classroom,” with Susanne B. Dietzel, in Feminist Teacher, Winter 1996. Also presented at the National Women's Studies Association Conference, Iowa State University, June 16 – 20, 1994 and at the Tenth Annual Women's Research Conference, University of South Dakota, April 1, 1993.
- "Working With LGBTQ Families: A Fact Sheet," published November, 2017 by the National Resource Center for Healthy Marriage and Families, a service of the Office of Family Assistance, Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Select citations ~ cited, quoted, or profiled in the following:
- “Is It Time to Retire ‘Mom’ & ‘Dad’?” by Deidre Olsen, November 17, 2017, in Refinery 29
- “California becomes 1st state to approve LGBTQ+-inclusive history textbooks,” by Phil Zhang, November 17, 2017, in The Daily Californian
- “California Becomes First State to Adopt LGBT-Inclusive Textbooks,” by Vanessa Rancaño, November 15, 2017, for The California Report, KQED
- “For kids, Pride Parade is a shot of confidence with the fun“, by Kevin Fagan and Trisha Thadani, June 25, 2017, SF Gate
- “Parenting Beyond Our Genders,” by Dana Rudolph, December 4, 2015, in The Seattle Lesbian
- “The New Lesbian Dad,” by Abby Dorsey, April 8, 2013, in The Advocate
- The Daddy Shift: How Stay-at-Home Dads, Breadwinning Moms, and Shared Parenting Are Transforming the American Family, by Jeremy Adam Smith, 2009, Beacon Press
- Handbook of Feminist Family Studies, by Sally Lloyd et al., 2009, Sage Press